Friday 12 July 2013

Becoming One with Nature

It was a long fought mental battle...to return to India and retire to a non-urban way of life. Away from the glitz and glamour a cosmopolitan city like Bangalore had to offer, setting up home in Hessarghatta amidst 6 acres of shrub and thorn bushes wasn’t exactly my idea of an ideal retreat. I have been a Bangalore girl since childhood, off and on, seen the city transform to compete with others in its league. Racing forward unabashed at the trail of destruction harmed Bangalore in all ways. Wanting to re-create a patch of “old” Bangalore in and around me was what got me thinking on how a piece of unkempt land can one day become a Cubbon Park. Decades of cruelty and abuse had left my land eroded, robbed of all nutrients and plant life in order to fulfil the never ending greed of humans [in this case simple village folks, lured into an unreal world of gadgets and gizmos]. Water levels I hear were so high in Hessargahtta, that a neighbour had trouble digging out mud for his swimming pool! The lake used to overflow and fill all natural channels of water where locals would fish! Trees bore abundant fruit and flowers formed colourful canopies and a soft carpet on the forest floor...life was simple and content. Maybe a part of me yearned for this life of simplicity amidst nature.


Armed with a strong will and desire to transform my surrounding and wake up to bliss the planning began...it’s crucial for me to point out at the onset that the frustrations, trials and tribulations that come with getting people to commit and complete work is maddening. I know it’s easy to say that it will all be worth it in the end, but the “end” seems like forever sometimes. Grit and determination along with an attitude of free rolling spirit goes a long way. I have been at it for 3 years now...all I can say in total affirmation is nature pays back manifolds for the effort and nurturing you provide. Having said so with such pride and joy, maybe it’s me that has simplified. The things we take for granted stare you in the face, the realities of food and living that we seem to be unconcerned with haunt you. Read along, as I pen my [short] journey experiencing firsthand what nature has to offer for those who embrace it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment